Hi All - welcome to this week's Tech Wrap-Up. We've been making some great strides on fixing issues over the last couple of weeks and I hope you're starting to see the improvements in the Editor.
In other news, yesterday we had Gawker Trivia night. Tech's team fart.gop (joined by Jane-Claire) CRUSHED the Editorial competition and we're looking forward to our victory lunch. Better luck next time @hotkitchen
Completed This Week
- A much-improved HTML edit view, with clearer formatting and colorization! This is currently behind a feature flag but you can access it using "/?redactorhtmlview=on" i.e. http://gawker.com/?redactorhtmlv...
- Smartpaste: content that is copy-pasted into the editor from outside sources is better sanitized than before. This is currently behind a feature flag but you can access it using "/?smartpaste=on" i.e. http://gawker.com/?smartpaste=on
- Applying a link to formatted text no longer results in loss of formatting
- Content displayed in editor now more closely matches the actual contents of the post. This resolves a number of bugs, including headings unexpectedly disappearing/becoming unformatted on-save, and other loss of formatting on-save
- Copy/paste within the editor can break the markup / introduce strange and unexpected markup Undo is sometimes too aggressive / removes much more changes than expected
- Fixed redirect loop issue of notification page
- Dismissed replies now show up on permalinks
- Reply permalinks show only the reply thread (from starter to leaves)
Work In Progress
- Fixing issues with Notifications not appearing for some users
- Building the migration scripts for Blog/User separation
- Working on blog description fields to fix Google search results
- Improvements to Kinja.com landing page and onboarding experience in design
- Global Navigation Improvements in design & prototype
- Left Column strategy
- Direct Image Uploads to Cloudinary to reduce some lag issues we've been seeing with images in the Editor
- Global Navigation rework (development)
- Slack, we have purchased enterprise licenses for Slack, so we'll be discovery work around integrating Slack into Kinja and actually working on this during Budapest Hack Week.
- Working on ideas to improve user notifications on desktop
- User Profile enhancements